Saturday, August 28, 2010

The Southwest






Well it is the time in our road trip we have to start making out way back East. So far the second half of the trip we have had to pay for camping. I think our good luck streak has run out. Usually when we are rolling in around 10 pm we are greeted by the owners. Luckily it has been pretty cheap, less than 20 dollars a night. So we'll take it! We are still saving tons of money doing it this way.

Since our rough night in Vegas we drove to the Grand Canyon. The drive there wasn't too bad. I got really excited to see the old route 66 go through a town on our way, so I made Matt take a little detour. I have been wanting to see route 66 since we left! So I was really pumped up about that. We spent a majority of the day at the Grand Canyon. All I can say is wow. I was so speechless when I was there and I still dont know what to say. It is the most beautiful thing on this earth. It looks like a painting. So perfect. Its so hard to grasp the idea so massive to be real. The pictures dont do justice.

On our way to the Arches in Utah we had to drive through a Navajo reservation. On this reservation, we drove through the painted desert which is just as gorgeous, especially in the sunlight. The soil is so red like Mars. As we were driving down the highway, we saw a little sign saying "dinosaur footprints" and I took a little detour because Matt really wanted to see something dinosaur on our trip. He looked a little apprehensive but I kept telling him why not? So we went down this little dirt road and saw these little stands with home made signs. As we got out of the car this nice woman approached us and took us around the land and showed us dinosaur footprints, eggs, bones, and even their poo! She told us about the land and how they were discovered. They are approx 1.65 million years old. It was very interesting. She also let us keep two jasper rocks which come from lava. AS we were leaving, she gave us some apples and grapes to take with us on our trip. That was very nice! I was so thrilled.

So far, that is the most recent. We are in Utah right now at a nice campground and will head to the Arches today. Then we will go through Denver and start heading home :( I dont think I can look at Roseville the same way again. Okay, enough babbling, and here are some pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment